DIY Patriotic Wood Plaque

I have another star spangled project to share with you - a super quick and easy DIY patriotic wood plaque ...





Materials:




The plaque is a 12" x 9-1/2" (actual size) scrap piece of board that was leftover from our DIY Wood Plank Lighted Headboard Project ... check out the details HERE.

Lucky for me, the plaque was already stained in Dark Walnut and only need a few touch ups.  

To begin, print the Pledge of Allegiance that Kara at Creations by Kara so graciously provides free for our personal use.  Be sure to also check out her design for a framed pledge with flag that's so adorable!

Print and cut out the Pledge of Allegiance and mount to the center of the plaque with double stick transparent tape.




 Next, cut the paint sticks to form a frame around the Pledge.  



Paint the stir sticks.  For a dark brownish red, I mixed Tuscan Red and Metallic Brown craft paint.  Let dry.




Attach painted stir sticks to plaque using hammer and small tack nails.




Paint the wood star using Navy paint.  When dry, brush on a top layer of coarse gold glitter and let dry.




Attach star to center of pledge with 4 layers of foamy double-stick tape to give the star a raised appearance.




At this point you could attach a picture hanger to the back of the plaque for wall display, or do as I'm doing and pop it into an easel.

This took about 2 hours to complete - including paint drying time.  Love those quick and easy projects!




Your comments are greatly appreciated and I look forward to your thoughts and ideas!  I try to respond to comments via email as soon as I can. If your email address isn't available, I will comment here. Thanks so much for visiting!

Shared with:

3 comments:

  1. Carolyn. You are so talented... This is the cutest idea.. Just love it.. I could see using this project for different holidays.. such as Thanksgiving and Christmas.. [changing the star for a bell, angel, turkey or acorn.
    Thanks for sharing.. I am definitely going to work on one..Probably a Thanksgiving one ,since its the next big holiday.. I think I have a Thanksgiving print out I could use..
    Have a great day and try to stay cool..[It's hot here in Ms too.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet little project and such a nice reminder of our pledge!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's a great project! I will have to look around and see what I have that can be substituted for the board, since I know I don't have a piece of board. You have the best projects, though! And I like Judy's suggestion of changing it for different holidays, too.

    ReplyDelete